Last night was the first Monday in May AKA the biggest night in fashion. The night when all the biggest celebrities gather in New York City for the Met Gala. The Met Gala is the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual fundraiser and opening night of their Costume Exhibit. The gala is organized each year by Vogue's Editor In Chief Anna Wintour and several celebrity co-chairs. The co-chairs for this year's gala were Dua Lipa, Penelope Cruz, Roger Federer and Michaela Coel. The theme of this year's gala was Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty. Last night I had the pleasure of breaking down the theme and reacting to all the best looks on my Youtube Channel. In case you missed it you can still watch the stream via this link: https://www.youtube.com/live/a-6tAHo8QZU?feature=share
The fun doesn't end when the Met Gala is over though. When the main event ends celebrities attend various after parties. Even though there's no livestream or major coverage of the after parties, there were many great fashion moments. For those of you interested in all the best looks of the night here's my list of the best dressed at the 2023 Met Gala After Parties:
1. Jenna Ortega: The Wednesday star channeled her inner Wednesday Adams with her after party look. The look was a twist on the look she wore to the Met Gala. She removed her jacket and skirt for a more after party appropriate look. She also opted to stay on theme for the after party. The bow tie, corset and shoes are all very classic Karl Lagerfeld elements.
2. Kylie Jenner: The youngest Kardashian Jenner sister was on my worst dressed list for the Met Gala, but her after party look was definitely one of my favorite. Even though her Met Gala look didn't correspond to the theme her after party look managed to tie in the theme perfectly. The top of the bodice is a modern twist on the collared looks Karl Lagerfeld often donned, the gloves were also one of Lagerfeld's signature accessories. The silhouette of the gown itself is very classic Kylie. She was able to combine her personal style with classic Lagerfeld elements for the perfect after party look.
3. Dua Lipa: The gala's co-chair Dua Lipa was one of the best dressed at the event, and I can confirm she was also one of the best dressed at the after party. The singer once again rocked Chanel for the after party. She included pearls, gloves, sunglasses and chain embellishments to her black and white two-piece look, all of which are classic Lagerfeld elements. The embellishments were a lot without being too much, and the decision to ditch the dress and wear a two-piece look for the after party was a great choice.
4. JLo: Another star who went from worst dressed at the Met Gala to best dressed at the after party is Jennifer Lopez. She wore a tuxedo inspired shirt, jacket and skirt to the after party. The purple interior of her jacket added a fun pop of color among the many black and white looks. The tuxedo style shirt was a great way to pay homage to Karl Lagerfeld. The entire look was perfect for an after party, timeless and very age appropriate for JLo.
5. Cardi B: The rapper donned many looks last night but her after party look was definitely my favorite. She wore a floor length houndstooth gown that mimics Chanel's classic houndstooth suits. The dress was a fun take on the classic two piece suit look. In typical Cardi fashion the dress included a plunging neckline for a risqué twist on a classic look. Her look was different from what everyone else was wearing in the best way.
6. Cara Delevingne: For decades the model/actress was a close friend of Karl Lagerfeld and one of his muses, so for the after party she paid homage to Lagerfeld by dressing like him. Her look was complete with a white wig meant to mimic Lagerfeld's hair. She wore a black gown with a red interior. She accessorized the dress with a collar, tie and gloves all of which are very classic Karl Lagerfeld accessories. The gown itself could've been considered basic but the styling of the gown and her bold choice to dress as Lagerfeld elevated the look and made her one of the best dressed at the after party.
7. Olivia Rodrigo: The 'Sour' singer has a history of making best dressed lists and this year's after party was no exception. She ditched the long gown she wore to the Met Gala for a shorter cocktail dress. The highlight of the silver sequin dress was the lace collar and black bow. They added an extra element to the dress that elevated the look and tied in perfectly with the Karl Lagerfeld theme. The look is perfect for any after party it is simple, while still being fashionable and fun.
8. Margot Robbie: The star of the upcoming 'Barbie' movie was looking like Barbie herself at the after party. She arrived at the after party in a black and white sequin mini dress with a matching black and white purse. The sequins made the look fun and playful. The dress itself could have been too simple but the fun pattern elevated the look and took it from simple to glam.